top of page
Bonita Bandeira Canada Tremulando



The most common and least bureaucratic visa is the visitor visa, which is divided into two categories: the V-1 and the SX-1. The immigration status is the same, and with any of them, when entering the country, if a lower date is not written in the passport by the immigration officer, when entering the country you have 6 months of stay, even if the date on the visa expiration date is much greater than that. What differentiates the two is your travel purpose, if you come just for tourism, immigration will issue a V-1 visitor visa, but if you come to study for periods of less than 6 months, the visa will be issued as SX- 1.

If you want to study for more than 6 months, in this case you will need to apply for a study visa, or S-1. With this visa, you will be able to enter the country with a visa valid for the duration of your study period.


If you are married, your spouse can also receive a work visa if you are enrolled in a Canadian Public College or University, and with this visa you can work in any company or field of activity, which is the W-1.


Permission is a letter issued upon entering the country by the immigration officer, which gives you the right to temporarily carry out a certain activity in the country, such as: studying or working. Unlike the visa, which is just an authorization to enter the country, the permit is what really gives you status here in Canada. 3 types of permits can be issued, Study, Work, or Visitor if you request an extension to visit the country for more than 6 months.

With a study permit, depending on where you study, you may be entitled to work 20 hours a week and full-time during breaks or vacation periods.

The work permit gives you authorization to work full-time for the entire period granted, but in this case you do not have the right to study.


At the end of the period of study at a public institution, the student can also apply for the PGWP (Post-Graduate Work Permit), which is a work permit for those who graduated here in Canada, and the duration will depend on the time of course. If you have graduated from a 1-year course, you will be eligible to apply for a further 1 year of PGWP. If you have graduated from a course of 2 years or more, you will be eligible to apply for up to 3 years of PGWP.


It is very important to know that permits do not give you the right to enter the country, for this you need a valid visa. Except for the USA, which you can use the permit plus the expired visa to return to Canada.


Canada has several immigration processes. But let's focus on the most common ones for the Brazilian public.


The Canadian immigration process is based on qualification points in each person's profile, which takes into account many factors, such as level of English, degree of training, work experience in the country of origin and in Canada, family, age, among others.


Basically, when most Brazilians calculate their score, they get below 400 points, which is not enough to pass the cut-off score for the federal process, which today is around 440 – 455 points. To be able to surpass this mark, in most cases what will make a difference is the level of English, completing a course here in Canada, and thus having 1 to 3 years of work experience in the country. As a result, the score goes up significantly, and those people who were not yet eligible to receive an invitation to apply for permanent residence become so.


Therefore, it is through this path that we work more for those who come to the country with the intention of immigration.

For those who, despite going through this process, cannot achieve a good score, there are still Provincial processes, which can be a way to achieve the objective.


As each person's profile can vary greatly, and different strategies can be adopted, send us a message and we will put you in touch with a licensed immigration consultant to find out the best path to take.


Schedule an appointment for an immigration consultation

bottom of page